Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What's the Word Wednesday: Does being a Parent Affect Your Style?

Image via Fashionbombdaily

I recently saw an interesting post on The Fashion Bomb Daily about the age limit of crop tops based on the above photo. Most commentors collectively agreed that anyone past the late twenties SHOULD definitely avoid the trend. But what caught my attention was a comment that stated..."having your midriff show while you are performing a concert is different than walking down the street with your midriff showing, especially if you are a parent." The funny thing is that I AM a parent and I just bought a cropped top from H&M this weekend. And I will definitely be rocking it soon.





Image Credit 
But this got me thinking. Should being a parent affect your style, particularly if you're a mom? I'll admit it. After the birth of my son, I tended to dress uber-conservative when we went outside. My train of thought was I wanted to be seen as a respectable and honorable mother. That meant wearing maxi skirts, loose-fitting clothing, sensible flats, and covering as much skin as possible. It also meant I had lost my identity. I looked at celebrities like Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, Beyonce, and Amber Rose who all seemed to get their "sexy back" immediately after having babies.

Image credits Above
Now obviously it's a celebrities' job to whip themselves into shape after having a baby. But still, it took me almost a year before I was able to get comfortable in my own skin and not just consider myself a "mom."
With that said, no woman wants to be considered the "frumpy mom." So if it makes you feel good about yourself to get dressed up and show your "sexy side" while pushing your child (or children) in a stroller, by all means DO THAT! After all, when you look good, you feel good!

               Check out these sexy celebrity "hot mamas"  in crop tops and their kids right by their side.

Superstar Jennifer Lopzez 
Singer/ Actress Christina Milian
Designer/Singer Gwen Stefani via FashionBombDaily

                                             Should being a parent affect your sense of style?




2 comments:

  1. If I'm going to his school or to a peds appointment that is the only time I really think, hmmm I should pay attention to how I present myself. But I think a woman should hold on to her style regardless of mommyhood and only change for age...Evelyn looks AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Candace! Yes, Evelyn is killing it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...